Baker & Joy provides specialist advocacy services for parents whose child is subject to child protection processes. For any parent, child protection proceedings can be frightening, stressful, confusing and difficult to understand. For those with learning difficulties and mental health concerns, they can be almost impenetrable. Our services help parents understand exactly what's happening and give them the skills and support to participate positively in the process.
Child protection can be extremely intimidating when you don't fully understand the situation, know what your rights are or feel that your opinions are not being heard and listened to. Our services are designed to help parents:
• Understand the child protection process
• Have information that is easy to read and understand
• Have appropriate support to participate in meetings and
• Understand their options and make informed decisions
• Have their voices heard and views respected
• Promote informed decision making
Our Parent & Family Advocacy services include:
• Parents involved in Child Protection procedures
• Parenting assessments & family mediation
• Family Group Conferences facilitation & support
• Independent Visitor & Mentor
• Preparation & support at court
• Information provision & signposting
Baker & Joy has an impressive track record in the field of advocacy. Our advocates have been involved in parent advocacy for over 10 years having helped develop pioneering services for a large UK charity. This means that we have in-depth experience of addressing the needs of parents from a variety of different backgrounds.
In addition, our skills in both instructed and non-instructed advocacy allows us to connect with and represent children with very different needs and abilities.
As with all Baker & Joy advocacy services, our Parent Advocacy is highly confidential. Of course, we understand in some circumstances information has to be shared. This includes issues relating to the safeguarding of a child. We always set out clearly from the outset what information we can and can't keep confidential. We will not represent a family member if there is a conflict of interest with a parent we are already working with.