A Family Group Conference allows the wider family (The Family Network) to plan and make decisions for a child at risk. Often run alongside the Child Protection procedures, the conference gives the wider family and friends the opportunity to work together to keep the child(ren) safe. The Family Group process is proven to be effective by empowering families to make their own plan for children, often allowing them to remain at home or within the family network.
“It's all about social justice and helping people to help themselves.”
Before a local authority asks the court to decide about a child's future, they have to show that the family have been offered a Family Group Conference. Baker & Joy offers independent chairs, and advocates to facilitate the preparation and running of Family Group Conferences. We provide:
• Coordination of the Family Group Conference
• Chair and mediation at the meeting
• Support in developing the Family plan
• Support in carrying out the agreed plan
Our Family Group Conference services include:
• Child, Parent & Family Advocacy
• FGC coordinators for Family Group Conferences
• Providing relationship support & activities for families
• Provide an understanding of rights of the family
• Signposting & support
Our goal is to deploy the Family Group Conference as a format in which the family can find their own solutions to the issues they face. By empowering family members to become decision-makers, it is shown to help develop a cohesive and safe environment for the child and often enables the child to remain within their family.